Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 9 of the 20-day Journal Challenge

Assignment: Tell a story your mom or dad has told you about when you were a baby.

When my folks lived in Pocatello during grad school, Mom would take me with her to pick apricots. She said I would get into the basket and take little bites from each one. I’d be covered in sticky juice by then end. I imagine my diapers would have been a delight…

My brother Timmy came along 2 years after I did. It’s amazing he survived his first year though. I guess I was very interested in him, wanting to hold him and “help” Mommy. When he was just a newborn, I got baby Timothy out of his basinet and carried him around the neck to show him off to some visitors that came by the house. It was all my Mom could do not to freak out. She was so afraid I’d drop him if she raised her voice or anything. Can you imagine?

1 comment:

The LaLa said...

I have to embellish your stories. The apricot tree was in the front yard of our rented house, so I was embarking on my first experience canning by myself. There were so many apricots we couldn't just ignore them. So you had pureed apricots for your baby food. And the "visitors" who came when Tim was born were Grandpa and Grandma Earl just arriving. Imagine their surprise when their first introduction to Timmy was with you dangling him by the neck!