Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 1 of the 20-day Journal Challenge

Assignment: Write about your day. What was the best part about it? What was the worst?

Beep-beep…beep-beep…beep-beep…THUD! At 5:10 this morning I hit the snooze button for the last time. Why is it always so hard to wake up on Monday mornings? Why does my husband have to keep the house so darn COLD all the time?! What happened to my 4:45 wake-up plan? These thoughts, and many others, kicked around my mind as I stumbled through my morning routine.

As usual, Jake was a bear to get up for seminary. We managed to beat my early bird seminary student to the church though. Neener-neener Paul!!! On another happy note, 11 out of my 14 students showed up for class this morning, impressively on time. We were slow to warm-up, but ended up having a pretty good discussion about Doctrine & Covenants 46 (gifts of the spirit). More on that topic tomorrow…

Once Jake was successfully dropped off at junior high, I raced home to wake Miss Emma. To my surprise and delight she was awake and dressed! We had a quick breakfast, and then I drove her the 60 yards to the bus stop – HA!

On a typical Monday morning, I would have immediately gone back to bed. NOT TODAY! Instead, I stayed awake and practiced singing and playing for a Christmas concert I’ll participate in on December 4th. I’m part of a women’s group that will perform for 45 minutes during our church’s annual Interfaith Nativity.

For 3 hours we sang and laughed and talked and sang. I was disappointed in my lack of singing confidence and vocal range, but I enjoyed all the beautiful Christmas music and tight harmonies. It reminded me of old times with my pals Whitny, Alli, and Annie. Oh! How I miss those girls!
When I got home, the dog and I ate a quick sammich before I launched into my lesson planning. The greatest accomplishment of my day: finishing my seminary lesson BEFORE Jacob came home from school. Wahoo! That hardly ever happens.

Now, can you guess what our lesson is on tomorrow? Yup. We’re going to talk about journal keeping (hence the blogging). I am repenting of my blog-lessness so as NOT to be a hypocrite. I will include myself in the 20-day challenge to my students to journal each day. Who knows? Maybe this will turn into a permanent habit. Stranger things have happened.

The day is not over so I can’t absolutely choose a best and worst part. I hope the best is yet to come! Maybe the best will happen this evening as I dine with my hubby at Zia’s on the hospital’s dime (it’s recruiting season). As for the worst part of my day, I’d have to go with missing my morning nap. I have a feeling I’ll be paying for that later. I promise not to take it out on my family though. Until tomorrow…

3 comments:

Moscow Monson's said...

Good luck with journaling! I started last April and have stuck to it. Not always daily and sometimes I copy and paste my Facebook post or a blog entry. Maybe your students would like to think of it as a Facebook entry it seem less daunting. Just a thought. It's good to hear from you again. Happy Birthday here pretty soon!

Alli said...

Yeah! Audrey is back! I've missed you ever so much, especially this time of year when I'm jonesing for some song practice. . . I really hope you keep up your journal resolution. It is fun to hear about what you are up to.

Love you!

The Hatch Family said...

So fun to hear about your busy day as a mom . . . and amazing gal! :) Do you have to wear all black and white type outfits for your music group?!?!?! MEMORIES for sure! :)