Assignment: Describe your best friend. Tell why this person is your best friend.
My best friend has been part of my life for 18 years, but I’m sure we’ve known each other much longer than that. I recognized our other-worldly connection soon after we met.
In the fall of my sophomore year of high school, I landed a small part in a school play. One of the cast members, Debra, became a fast friend. She and I had performed a musical number together for church and I knew her to be a funny and talented gal. What I didn’t realize, however, was that she had an older brother named Rick. And he was cute. And smart. And a senior!

Somehow I managed to attract his attention as he built the set for our production. We flirted backstage, but I never thought he’d be interested in me. One afternoon, he offered to drive me home from practice (he had his own car – ooooyah!). I distinctly remember feeling like I knew him from somewhere, but I just couldn’t place it. Talking with him felt so comfortable and familiar.

Not soon after “the ride” Rick asked me on a date. I was about a month shy of my 16th birthday, so I wasn’t of dating age. Fortunately, my totally cool parents let me bend our family dating rule so we could go to a high school football game. Rick took me on my first official date, and he’ll be there for my last.

Our relationship continues to be comfortable and familiar. Rick makes everything better. Whether it’s doing dishes, watching TV, or taking a nap, I’m happier when sharing these things with my best friend. I miss him when he works long hours and I still get excited when he comes home. I think he’s better looking now than he’s ever been, but I’d love him no matter what he looked like.
Things aren’t perfect. But, we’re in this marriage for eternity, and we can weather it.
Love ya Babe!
3 comments:
The pictures early in this post is how I will always think of you two...I can't believe how long it's been, I can still smell the sawdust from the shop--and remember going to the state fair?
You two were surely part of the "original" cast of Saturday's Warriors -- foreordained for each other before you ever met here on earth. I still remember how instantly comfortable we all were with Rick, and how he fixed a whole list of things at our house when we went out of town!!! If you had not married him, we would have thrown Sheila or Bonnie in front of him. Tee hee.
Love you, Rick.
So glad the you are posting on your blog again, Audrey. We have missed the family updates. Oh, yes, I remember Grease and Rick finding his one true love. You have always been his girl, Audrey.
Post a Comment