Assignment: What do you like to do in your free time? Don’t just list, explain why, too.
Man! These journal writing prompts really want me to get personal. If I answer honestly, I’m going to come off looking really boring, lazy, and selfish. Instead, here’s the response I’d give if I were the ideal version of myself:
In my free time I enjoy going for long runs through the nature preserve so that I can meditate and rejuvenate my spirit. On warm days, I work in my flower garden and take fresh bouquets to some of the widowed sisters in my ward. My piano is never neglected. I love to sit down and play Chopin, Debussy, and Brahams to welcome my children home from school. At the end of the night, it’s hard to send the kids to bed. Sometimes I want to read the classics to them for hours! To be fair to my husband though, I spend the rest of the evening rubbing his shoulders and listening to stories from his work day. I never grow tired of them!
Are you ready for the real response to this prompt?
Free time? Really? Well, I guess I have time when I choose to ignore stuff I should be doing and I do something else less productive. Can I call that free time? I have lots of examples of what I do to procrastinate.
I enjoy watching TV shows on Netflix after the kids go to bed. This is usually accompanied by a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. I’m working on season 1 of Monk right now because it’s on instant queue. Rick and I are waiting for disc 2 of Community to arrive in the mail. I haven’t laughed so hard at a show since 30 Rock, and that’s really saying something.
When Rick works late, I don’t want to watch TV because it’s more fun when we’re together. Instead I get on YouTube or Facebook and waste time there. I used to stalk blogs, but I found that it brought me down to see all the productive things the good mommies were doing with their time. Who needs that kind of pressure?
If it’s daytime, and I sit still for longer than 10 minutes, I have to take a nap. I’m really good at it too. My favorite spots are the couch in the basement because it’s cool and totally dark. I also have a fondness for my bed, though it’s hard to get out of it once I get in.
The last thing on my list of idleness has to be making playlists or listening to Pandora.com. Tonight’s playlist: Christmas Faves. I can literally spend hours listening to music and building wish lists on ITunes. Perhaps I should have been a DJ instead of a teacher.
So, I guess I’m not hurting for free time too much. Look at all the idleness I’m able to squeeze into the day. It’s pretty impressive when you think about it. Have I inspired you yet?
3 comments:
Absolutely! I am definitely inspired. I love Community too, it is a great show. I spend too much time on Hulu, but I tell myself I'm folding laundry or ironing while I watch so it is less bad. I'm trying to cut back though, some of those shows I was watching were just lame. Like you I feel like there is lots of stuff I should be doing but it just doesn't happen, oh well.
I'm loving this journal thing Audge, keep it up!
Hooray for you getting back to blogging :) And I just have to say that I LOVE this post! Your "ideal" reply cracked me up! And I am pretty sure that 98% of us are much MUCH more in sync with your real reply!
I taught her everything she does in her real reply. :) (we love Community too, and 30 Rock) When I was teaching Sem, I did not dare sit down to watch TV while I ate my lunch or I would fall asleep immediately over my sandwich. Pace yourself -- you will have many busy days, so enjoy a bit of idleness when you get it.
Post a Comment