Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 18 of the 20-day Journal Challenge

Assignment: Write about your favorite scripture and why you like it.

One of my favorite scriptures comes from Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-8:

“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.”

When Joseph Smith suffered for several months in Liberty Jail, the Lord comforted him with the revelations in sections 121-123. The verses from 121 come to mind whenever I start to feel overwhelmed or discouraged. They help me keep my “troubles” in perspective. They also remind me of potential should I choose to press forward rather than sink into despair.

One of the personal application exercises I like to do with the scriptures is to put my name in the verse, as if the Lord were speaking directly to me. When I do that, D&C 121: 7-8 means even more:

Audrey, “peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.”

I also like to put the scriptures in “Audrey speech” sometimes:

Audrey, relax; this problem isn’t the end of the world. Cheer up and carry on. God will help you overcome anything that stands in the way of your eternal progression.

I know, the original version sounds better. You get what I mean though, right? Now, what's your favorite scripture and why?

3 comments:

Alli said...

I've been digging Mosiah 4:30 lately, we read it about a week ago with the fam and it's stuck with me: "But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not."

I like the plainness of the language, King Benjamin really cared about his people and he wanted them to be happy. I tell my kids all the time that their thoughts become their words which become their actions and then their habits, then their character. It is a verse full of wonderful advice given lovingly and I am thankful for it.

The LaLa said...

And it's a mastery scripture too!

I like 1 Nephi 3:7. I know, it's kind of a cliche. But it's the one my father used to quote to the missionaries at conferences when we were in Chile. In both Spanish and English. It means we can do hard things, and He expects that we will find a way to do them.

Unknown said...

Hooray for scripture mastery! It's almost like the GAs were inspired to pick such good verses for the youth to memorize...