Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

We arrived in Arizona 6 days ago, but we've been so busy I haven't had time to blog!

The flight over was exciting (for the kids anyway). The last time they flew, Jacob was a toddler, and Emma was a fetus. When the plane took off, Emma just laughed and laughed. It was fun to watch their reactions as the world got smaller. Fortunately for us, we had 2 rows to ourselves so that we could spread out. We kept busy on the plane with homework, I-Pods and Nintendo DS. Emma drew an elaborate picture of our plane, which she gave to Captain Dan at the end of our flight.

It's a strange thing to go from 14 degrees to 75 degrees in just a matter of hours. We could feel the warmth as we got off the plane. It was surreal to fly over the small mountains that surround the Valley of the Sun. Only 7 months have passed since we moved to Ohio, but it felt like so much had changed.

Rick's Dad picked us up from Sky Harbor and we immediately set off for our favorite Mexican food restaurant, Los Compadres. Grandma Joann met us there and we were warmly greeted by the owner, David. We felt like Norm walking into Cheers. David asked about Faye and all the Colyars. Then, he ordered us a quesadilla and guacamole on the house. What a welcome! The kids were grinning from ear to ear, so thrilled to be HOME.


Shortly after settling in at the Saunders's house, my mom and I were on the phone planning and replanning our social calendar. Maybe we should have taken a whole month off...

2 comments:

Alli said...

I feel happier just knowing you guys are back here and I get to see you soon!

The LaLa said...

You can't imagine how absolutely "normal" it feels to know you're just a few blocks away. Even though I can talk to you any time by phone, I miss having you all here so much. We're excited to have you come stay. It will be fun to have a houseful again! It's good to be popular, eh Norm(a)?