Despite our well-laid plans, we arrived in Perrysburg on Monday of this week. We just didn’t have the endurance to drive 12-hour days after all. The moving truck’s slower pace kept us from driving caravan style. Since I had the GPS in my car, I went ahead at my own pace (85 mph). It was my job to scout out good parking/eating locations before Rick arrived at our meeting places. You see, it’s no easy task parking a Penske towing a Kia. Also, only 10% of eating establishments appeal to 100% of the Saunders family. Less than 3% of restaurants welcome furry family members (a.k.a. Shelby, the dog).
Miraculously, we managed to drive cross-country without car trouble, illness, accidents, or hazardous weather. Modern technology ensured that Jacob and Emma were adequately entertained throughout our journey too. The “ruffest” part of the tip for me was dealing with the dog. Most stores and restaurants aren’t pet friendly, so the kids and I took turns going on bathroom breaks.
Ohio exceeds my expectations. It is beautifully lush and green throughout. The weather is gorgeous too. Perrysburg is a quiet suburb south of Toledo that boasts all the amenities we require (Target, Costco, Kohl’s, and Wal-mart). The houses are unique and charming – not an inch of stucco!
Our new house is lovely. It’s considerably larger than our last home, particularly the yard (it took me an hour to mow the grass yesterday). Rick and I have spent many late nights unpacking, assembling, and cleaning. Things were finally functional enough last night that we enjoyed a nice soak in our hot tub. It was then that the kids got to see fireflies for the first time.
We’ve met several neighbors already too. Emma and I have made it a habit to ride bikes after dinner, which garners some attention. Everyone likes to check out my smooth ride (a pink Schwinn cruiser with fat, white tires). We haven’t met any kids yet, but we’ve been assured that they’re around. I’m sure we’ll make friends on Sunday in our new ward.
Tomorrow we'll spend some last precious moments with Rick before we lose him to his new job. We've been warned that the first month isn't pretty, and his call schedule affirms that. A new chapter begins!
6 comments:
Glad you guys made it there safe! Good luck to Rick starting out! We sure miss you already!
Wow, I can't believe that you live in Ohio. I'm not quite sure what to do about that...other than visit. :)
we miss you. glad to hear ohio boasts of prettier scenery and better weather than here. there's one blessing of leaving az
Wonderful! We are so glad you got there safe and sound!
I've been waiting all week to hear from you! So glad you made it. And please post a picture of your bike! I think Regan and I may have to follow suit! Glad you like Ohio, good luck with your new ward tomorrow!
It's very different from Arizona, that's for sure! It's kinda like comparing apples and oranges though. One place isn't necessarily prettier than the other - just different. I guess you'll all have to visit to totally appreciate what I'm talking about.
Post a Comment