Sunday, June 29, 2008

The hostess with the mostest?






Rick gave Jake a mowing lesson this week, since our new yard will require a team effort to maintain. I could tell that Jake was excited about this rite of passage. You better believe that I’ll take advantage of his rookie enthusiasm once Rick isn’t around to help me. Notice the way Jake’s face mirrors the intensity on his dad’s face. They’re both so serious sometimes!
The grass and weeds grow like crazy here. We’ve had rain and thunderstorms just about every day since we’ve moved to Perrysburg. I absolutely love it! Sure, the humidity is up, but the temperatures are down. This allows us to get out in the evenings for dog walks and bike rides.


We’ve started hosting dinners at our place using our favorite recipes from back home. On Friday we had 4 missionaries from our church over for Mexican food. They absolutely inhaled my mother-in-law’s famous soft tacos and my brother-in-law’s fresh salsa. For dessert, we made my Aunt Janet’s ice cream pie. It was “brilliant” according to one of the Elders. Last night we entertained several of Rick’s intern buddies, along with their wives. It was great to chat with other people that truly understand this crazy adventure. I realized, too, that we have been extraordinarily blessed to find ourselves in these circumstances.


That being said, I’m grieved to report that our hot water heater went out. This made getting ready for church a challenge this morning. Even more unfortunately, my mom and Aunt Evie are due to arrive for a visit this evening. I’m afraid they’re going to have to bathe in the hot tub out back. I’m sure this will effect our B&B rating.

6 comments:

Les said...

I love it! Jacob is so much like his dad it's scary! It's going to be a great project all summer for him to take care of that lawn. He'll be busy! Guess the Gameboy can wait a while, huh?

Anonymous said...

Whew! What a lawn! History repeats itself. Rick was about Jacob's age when he began mowing our lawn. He had the same serious expression on his face then too. GMA S

Heidi Totten said...

That is CRAZY. What an enormous lawn! Tell Jake to look for killer bunnies and he will attack that yard with a vengeance! I'm sure that my mom and your mom will still be happy to be there - hot water or not. :)

Alli said...

The grass appears to go on and on, you couldn't possibly be responsible for mowing all of it!? Some of it must be the neighbors? It looks like lots of fun, good luck :)

Les said...

I think if he is trained in what is Rickseptable for the yard it will be no time before he can do a
Jacobsceptable job.

Go Jacob!
Dixon

Terry said...

I sure miss you guys! Jacob, I'm so proud of you for learning how to mow the yard. I have some work for you here too!