Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers and Daughters

I serve in the presidency of the Young Women's Organization in my church, working with girls ages 12-18. On Wednesday I had the privilege of hosting a special Mother/Daughter Activity at my house. Some of the older girls weren't able to come because of other commitments at school, but we still had a decent turnout.

We asked the mothers and daughters to wear coordinating outfits, which we photographed as they arrived. I was impressed that everyone actually did it! We got some adorable shots which I later turned into a collage for our bulletin board at church.

Sydney, Kat, and Rory

Becky and Abbey

Tylah and Angie

Jess, Olivia, Amber, and Ashley (Jess filled in as "mom")

Carolyn (grandmother) and Maryn

Em and Aud

Heather and Kendra (sorry about the wind)!


Dayna and Karen
 
Bella and Carol (grandmother and YW President)

We gathered in the basement for the M&M game (an idea I tweaked after seeing it on this website). Everyone got to complete phrases such as "I am scared of..." or "I was so embarassed when..." We got to hear some pretty funny stories!


We voted on our favorite mother/daughter outfit and had the girls take a "Mom Skills" quiz. Apparently I have some work to do still with Emma because she missed 6 questions!



We also played a game incorporating pictures of the girls' mothers when they were in the teen years. Can you guess which girl is me?


To cap off the activities, we watched a beautiul message that I found on YouTube. We also passed out personal letters that the mothers wrote to their daughters. If you have about 5 minutes, it's worth watching the video below. I hope the girls "got it", although my daughter should probably listen to Elder Ballard's remarks a few more times...hahaha.


Of course, no activity would be complete without refreshments! Just look at this yummy cake!


I'm so glad it came together. Now to prepare for a Daddy/Daughter night...



2 comments:

The LaLa said...

What a beautiful idea! I am definitely passing this on to our Young Women's Presidency! I loved visiting with you today -- thanks so much for your call. You make this mother very proud.

Alli said...

Moms rock. Nice one Audge!