It's time to find myself again. I've been released from my calling as early morning seminary teacher and downgraded to a substitute role. I've had a sinking suspicion that a change was coming. With Emma's health problems, I'm needed more at home. I hoped I'd get a chance to keep serving with the youth, but I got called to be an organist instead. Time to start practicing I guess!
Our last day of seminary (all the way back in May!) was a celebration of sorts. I presented each student with a personalized award that was really more inside joke than achievement. Take a look at their certificates:
 |
| Christy earned the Future Teacher Award for her adorable handwriting and supreme organizational skills. |
 |
| Rachelle received the Woman of Stealth Award for sliding in and out of seminary without a sound (she was one of my quiet students). |
 |
| Tyler was the Slyest Texter this year. I think that award speaks for itself. |
 |
| Ben got the Teacher Stumper Award because he would ask some deep questions of me. I got to do some extra reading because of him! |
 |
| Despite her brother, Esther managed to get the best attendance again. I'm so glad I got to have this little ray of sunshine in my class each day! |
 |
| In contrast with Esther, Darren earned the Walking Dead Award. He was often there in body, rather than spirit. |
 |
| Colin can really put away the Pop Tarts and donuts! He rightfully earned the Bottomless Pit Award |
 |
| Dayna likes to burn the candle at both ends. She got the Night Owl Award for staying up too late. |
 |
| Jessica was my right-hand man, er, woman. She was a wonderful secretary for our seminary council. |
 |
| Alexis was a teacher's pet. She faithfully kept up her binder all year long, which earned her the Beautiful Binder Award. |
 |
| Paul was so early sometimes that he'd beat me to seminary. He got the Early Bird Award. |
 |
| Justin DiFabio earned the Difabulous Award for making us laugh on dark, cold mornings. |
 |
| Brandon was our seminary president and lead jokester. He also did a bang up job leading us in hymns much of the time. He received the Dynamite Director Award. |
 |
| BEST BED HEAD AWARD. Need I say more? |
What a trip! I remember how scared I was to start teaching seminary. I had never really worked with teens before. My degree is in early childhood education, how would those tools apply? I was surprised how well they did.
Now I can say that I love working with youth of all ages. They weren't mean and scary like I originally feared.
I love these guys for letting me be a part of their lives. They're my students, yes, but friends too!
 |
Hooray for these brainiacs for memorizing all 25 scripture mastery verses!
Not pictured: Alexis |
 |
| Michael holds a special place in my heart. He's so enthusiastic about seminary, I think he would make a great teacher! |
 |
| Whenver I run into these girls I get a hug. How sweet are they?! |
 |
| I hope my kids learn to be as good to each other as Ben and Esther are. Their folks did something right! |
 |
| We're so tired, but we know it's worth it! |
 |
| Brandon is an affectionate guy! |
 |
| Thanks for a great 2 years! |
2 comments:
Great pictures! I loved the awards=very funny. And about Ben, he did the same thing to me sometimes in Sunday School. I didn't even know you played the organ! That is so cool. I've heard it's very hard to do. You'll be just great, and then we all get to see your beautiful face up there every week. :) About losing a calling, I totally understand where you're coming from...sometimes you just don't feel ready to let go. :(
I have a sneaky suspicion your Seminary teacher days are not over forever -- remember you'll be an empty nester someday, and that will leave you LOTS of free time, right? Your kids were blessed to have you. I will be a little sad not to get your regular reports on how your classes were going! We miss you all!
Post a Comment