Saturday, August 16, 2008

Maumee Summer Fair and Parade

This morning we enjoyed a taste of small town America at the Maumee Summer Fair. Maumee is another suburb of Toledo right across the river from Perrysburg. There seemed to be a hundred different booths to visit, many offering free keychains and fake tattoos. We made crafts, ate popcorn, and took in a parade.

Here I am with Obama...



This group played some folk/bluegrass music.



The parade featured the local high school band and cheer squads. We also saw service dogs, politicians, and clowns (there's a joke in there somewhere).



Life Flight is based out of Rick's hospital. We had the priveledge of sleeping right next to their landing pad when we first visited Toledo back in March.



Little Orphan Annie was there with her dog Sandy.



We thought this was odd. An Alzheimer's facility loaded up some patients and drove them through the parade. It was kind of sad.



Yup. The red hat ladies are in Ohio too.



There's a guy in this get-up. I hope they give him free smoothies.

8 comments:

Alli said...

That is awesome! The Alzheimer's bus seems like it would be a bit awkward. . . but it looks like a fun parade nonetheless.

Terry said...

Was one of the Alzheimer's patients driving the bus? Hope he had a GPS.

Looks like great fun!

The LaLa said...

Your experience in Ohio is so reminiscent of our year in Roanoke, Virginia. Soak up the local culture while you can -- it's so different from what you've grown up with. Be careful -- you might have a baby there, like we did!

Unknown said...

Funny you should say that Mom. We spent a lot of time checking out a booth about fostering service dogs. It's something we really want to do once we have our own place again.

kvhawker said...

Audrey, how come your map works and ours doesn't? That is not fair! Can you give me any hints? We love your pics!

Les said...

Love the picture with Obama!

Anonymous said...

So fun . . . glad I get to peek in at my friend and her adventures!!Love to you!!

The LaLa said...

Well, if I don't get lots more grandchildren, at least I'll have granddogs! I like them too. Hug Shelby for me.