Monday, August 11, 2008

Butterflies

We went back to the Toledo Zoo today, this time with some extra money for visiting the Butterfly House.

Here is an unusual species we observed:



I think they call this the Painted Ninja Boy Butterfly...





We saw some large bumblebees while waiting in line.



It was very important that we watch our step so as not to step on the butterflies.



Many of the butterflies could be found in the bushes. With a little luck, you could transfer one to a finger.



Jake was stealthy enough to "catch" this one.





This guy looked me straight in the eye.



Don't eat it!



This was the largest type we saw. It was furry like spider.







The zoo provided bowls of Gatorade to dip a finger into. I guess the butterflies are attracted to the stuff.



Ummmm........Guys?

8 comments:

Les said...

Do you guys ever have a day where you just sit around the house? You're always out doing field trips, aren't you? Wish we were doing the same!!

Alli said...

Looks like good times were had by all. I'm glad you are having fun there!

kvhawker said...

Hey there Saunders, you all look great and we love the pics! We peeked in from Alli's blog! This is really fun, Love, Hawker's

Dusty said...

That is so cool! Jaiden and Ava would be in butterfly heaven. These are great pictures.
p.s. Audrey, your color is pink!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful outing! I'll bet everyone loved it. I can't believe you were able to just reach out and touch those butterflies. I want to do that. I love the three big butterflies who were in the photos.

Sheila and Mario said...

That place looks so fun! Now I totally want to move to Ohio so I can go to all these fun places. As for my class...I don't think you had this one, she is newer. She is actually the daughter of the teacher that did my Social Studies class...last name Solenberger or something like that. The class is "assessment and monitoring" yet it is mostly student presentations and we have not discussed too much in the area of assessments or monitoring. She has however recommended a lot of places to but cheap school supplies. Lame!

Michelle said...

Audrey,

We miss your family! Layken keeps saying Emma is going to come back and visit. Please call when you come back in town. Looks like you are all settled in and enjoying life and lots of fun activities! What a great butterfly exhibit, love the pics. Here is our families blog: http://clanmcleod7.blogspot.com/
Love the McLeods

The LaLa said...

I think I finally have my Google account going (with Dad's techno help). You look fabulous in the butterly photos. Wasn't that an amazing experience? It's pretty, but kind of creepy too, with them fluttering all around you and lighting on you.