Friday, August 29, 2008

For grown-ups only

My children are no longer part of the believers club. I’m actually surprised they held out as long as they did, especially Jacob. I found out when I was eight (thanks cousin Heidi). It’s a sad feeling not to have believers in your house. I wonder if some of the fun will be missing from our holidays now…

Jacob lost 2 teeth within the space of 15 minutes last Saturday. This happened to be an evening when Rick was working a 30-hour shift. Since Daddy usually handles tooth fairy duties, I really felt the pressure. I have a hard time remembering things like that.

At midnight, when I felt it was safe to make the transfer, I crept into Jake’s room. He was all a tangle in his blankets so I tried to unravel him. This caused him to thrash about. I hit the deck to avoid being seen. Once I felt I had the all clear, I proceeded to feel around for “the baggie”. For the life of me I could not find that thing! Giving up, I made the deposit and tiptoed out of the room.

The next morning I went upstairs to wake the kids for church. They had beaten me to it and were hanging out in Jake’s room. “Hi mom”, Jake greeted me. “Thanks for the $4, but you forgot to take my teeth.”

“What do you mean? Did the tooth fairy leave those behind?” I asked, trying to play it cool.

“Mom I know it’s you. I’ve known for about 2 years.” Jake laughed.

I was stuck. Should I keep it going or give up the charade? I decided that since the secret was already out about the birds in the bees, this must be revealed too. I proceeded to uncover the myths, one by one. Santa, Easter Bunny, Great Pumpkin, and Tooth Fairy were all part of an elaborate lie kept by parents across the world. The kids took it fairly well, though the deal about Santa was new to Emma. I felt like I pulled the rug out from under them. It was awful.

After making solemn promises never to reveal the secret to other believers, the kids scurried off to ready themselves for church. I sat for a moment, pondering how I old I felt. The kids were growing up way too fast, and I couldn’t do a thing to stop it. (sigh)

7 comments:

Alli said...

At least you remembered to go get the darn things! Jeffer lost his first tooth recently (!!!) and I forgot for like three nights in a row to get it! He would come out in the morning and wonder what happened? I told him that his tooth fairy must be lazy or lost or something! I did finally do it just a few days late. . . In my defense, I had a new baby and was loopy for lack of sleep. I'm pretty sure he still believes, but he doesn't think to highly of the T.F.

Heidi Totten said...

I am NEVER going to live that down between you and Heather. Never.

I'm just saying.

The LaLa said...

Oh, this makes me sad, but I'm chuckling at the same time. Granny Larson blew the lid on that news for me, when I was about 9. She even showed me a copy of "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." It didn't soften the blow. Grandma Jeanne was so mad! I am sorry that Emma was there, and wish Jake would have wanted to keep her in on the secret for at least one more holiday. I remember a friend, a single mother, telling me that her son said (at this same moment), "Gee, mom, you must really love me!" Hopefully, Jake and Emma will realize the same thing.

Terry said...

Isn't there a funny story about Jesse Bowler not finding out until Freshman English class?

Les said...

It's much better to find out when you're still young--than to be the last person still believing. There is something to be said for being naive, though. I think it's a lost virtue in our world. So sad. But it's fun to watch the kids grow up and learn and have a little secret with mom and dad and all the other grown ups in the world that they are forbidden to reveal to any of their friends or their friends' little siblings! It's a bonding experience, dontcha think?

Anonymous said...

Santa still comes to our house every year! We try to catch him, but the clever fellow avoids us somehow. Maybe next year!

The Hatch Family said...

I am feeling for Emma . . . it isn't always easy to be the little sis of a mythbuster! But, it does have its advantages once in awhile if she can hang in there. :)