Thanksgivin'
Folks are surprised to learn that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday since I don't eat meat. Well, hello! The side dishes, rolls, and pie are waaaaaaay better than some dry ol' bird any day! So, while I didn't miss the main dish, I did miss the family. That's why we decided to dine out for our meal rather than stay home all alone without grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Boo.
We drove out to the shores of Lake Erie for a noontime meal at Maumee Bay State Park. Rick had volunteered to moonlight later Thanksgiving day, so we had to eat early in order to have him with us for the feast. The food was overpriced and nothing like the taste of home, but we were together! We tried to eat our money's worth and found we couldn't eat the rest of the day. We were that full!
Shoppin'
There was the usual power napping in the afternoon while the kids watched a movie. Later, we dug out some of our Christmas stuff and started decorating the house before Rick left for work. I also took some time to browse the Black Friday ads and decided I'd try a little holiday shopping once the kids went to bed.
I left for Wally World at 9:00 p.m. so I could take care of the early deals that were to begin at 10:00. I was totally unprepared for the madness. The parking lot overflowed and folks were abandoning their cars in a field next door to the store. All the carts were taken, though I couldn't have maneuvered one anyway. People were lined up throughout the store, some sitting in lawn chairs, waiting for the deals. I had long missed out on the big ticket item I wanted to buy because I didn't come early in the day to claim my place in line. Everything was "sold" before it even went on sale!
Idiot that I am, I waited in the checkout line for close to an hour to purchase a few movies and such. My long wait time gave me a chance to get in a good chat with my folks on my cell phone. I couldn't end my shopping spree without anything good to show for it, so I decided to tackle the deals at Kohl's.
Unlike Walmart, Kohl's wasn't open on Thanksgiving. The deals were to begin at midnight, so people were lined up outside and around the building. I got a lucky spot in between a chain smoker and two dudes chewing tobacco. In addition, I still had my cute Thanksgiving outfit on when I should have worn a parka and wool socks. DUMB!
After waiting an hour, I made my way inside Kohl's and found the deal at 80% off! All the shivering and second hand smoke was worth it (I hope). Plus, I got $15 in Kohl's cash for my trouble.
My last stop was for the kids. They've been wanting a Christmas tree for the basement so they can hang the ornaments not making the cut for our upstairs tree. Home Depot had a $180 pre-lit tree for $49. I was 5 minutes too late though, or so I thought. Just when I thought my sleepless night was for naught, I got a tap-tap on my car window. It was a Home Depot employee! Apparetly, someone had just returned the very tree I wanted to buy because it wouldn't fit in her car. Well, you better believe I hugged that wonderful messenger and bought the tree. Hooray! It was a Black Friday miracle!
My Birfday
Fast forward a few days...My birthday was a sweet, peaceful one. Rick was off work and could join us for church. In the afternoon, Jacob received his Patriachal Blessing. To cap off the day, Rick made a delicious chocolate mint ice cream cake. Yum!
5 comments:
You guys are still having fun!
Yes, baby, you've still got it, so flaunt it! I was so happy to have such a nice visit with you on Thanksgiving and then again on my birthday. We miss you all so much! Biiiig huuuugs!
Oh that made me laugh. All of it. I especially like the comment about your kids wanting another tree for ornaments 'not making the cut.' I had a little one of those up in my room. Haven't you ever seen toy story? You can't just leave them in the box!!!! :) We had to this year becuase of Henry. Only the non-breakable ones are up.
Aww! I love your posts. I'm glad Ricky took good care of you on your birthday and that you had Thanksgiving miracles. I love you and miss you!
aw, this made me miss you guys so much! i'm glad to hear you had a good thanksgiving and b-day. i would've sacrificed sleep and cold to go shopping with you! love you much!
Post a Comment