Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ouch!

Audrey is always trying to get me to blog something so here goes.

I decided to do our basement the official way including permits and inspections. However, I found out that the sole plate (board that secures the wall to the floor) had to be a specific kind of wood. Since I had already completed the framing, that meant that I had to go back and replace all of the sole plates. I was not thrilled, but I did it anyway.

1 week later, I am almost done. I have been pulling out the fasteners attaching the sole plate to the floor and tipping the framed wall out. Then I knock the sole plate from the vertical wall frame and put a new one on (of the correct wood). Not too hard, but very time consuming. The old sole plate has the nails in it that used to secure it to the vertical boards.

Well....I wasn't paying attention and walked right onto one of the boards. 2 lovely, 2 inch long, big ol' fat framing nails went right through the bottom of my shoe and deep into my foot. I tried to shake the board off of my foot, but they were in too deep. It just stuck on. I had to push it off with my hands. Audrey and the kids were sitting about 10 feet away and saw the whole thing. I wish there was video, It must have looked ridiculous. Thankfully, my tetanus is up to date. I guess that it'll be worth it in the end.



My shoe. You can see blood on the entrance holes.



My foot.



6 comments:

Terry said...

Ouch! My foot hurts just looking at it. So, are you an official SOLE brother?

The LaLa said...

Yikes! Did it hurt like crazy or were you too stunned to acknowledge the pain?

Moscow Monson's said...

Great job on the post. I'll give you 8 out of 10. You need to find music to go with to hit the 10 rating. LOL!

Wow the foot thing it looks painful!

Janet and Nate said...

ouch!

GMA S said...

Eeeewww! You are really putting the blood, sweat and tears into this project, aren't you? More stories for your "Believe It or Not" book.

Alli said...

That is terrible Rick! But it was a very good post :)