It's time I came out about something. I think I'm on the verge of becoming one of those crazy, granola, activist people. Over the past few weeks my eyes were opened to a disturbing problem in our country. Have you taken a hard look at where our food comes from lately?
Here are just a few resources that will get you started:
http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/campaigns/factory_farming/
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/03/vermont-slaughterhouse-cl_n_343934.html
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3176184587819334935&q=sierra+club+michigan#
Food, Inc.
King Corn
I didn't know about any of this. Seriously, what am I to do with this information?
6 comments:
Disturbing. That's the only word that comes to mind. I am a little scared about the whole thing. hmmm, what to do?
Grow your own garden and raise your own livestock. It's scary out there.
We've got chickens and a compost pile, no garden yet but it is a dream. . . It is scary out there.
That's why I get all of my beef from the Jack Brotherson family ranch. :) And I square foot garden.
And that's why I want to have my own family farm. I read "Chew on This" to my kids a couple of years ago and they've completely sworn off fast food. Unfortunately, we can't afford to eat the way we'd like to. But I'm with you!
Is there a good co-op there? Or CSA program? We joined a local co-op last fall, and have been very pleased with the selection of things there, and the information provided with everything (we almost always know where our food comes from!). And, last summer, we tried a CSA Farm for the first time. From May through October, we weekly got our produce from a farm about 30 minutes from our house. Not only did it give us peace of mind, it also challenged us as we learned to cook a variety of new foods! We'd highly recommend it!!
Post a Comment