The girls in my ward have a book club, though I've never taken the opportunity to go. This month, I didn't even read the book that was the focus of the group's study. Fortunately, my girlfriends encouraged me to attend last Thursday's meeting, even if only to hang out and eat our friend Leah's yummy cheesecake.
I was so glad I went! It was a great way to get to know some of the girls better and it was nice to do something just for me. They discussed the book, Follow the River, by Jame Alexander Thorn. By the end of the night, I knew I had to read it. I started up Friday afternoon and could hardly put it down. It was totally heartwrenching, graphic, disturbing, and engrossing. I couldn't say I enjoyed a minute of it, but it affected me deeply. What added to the reading was my surprise trip to Oak Openings with the 11-year-old Scouts. The other Scout leader canceled last minute, so I went along as Rick's 2nd leader. Emma and Shelby joined us too. Our site was up on a little ridge that hovered above a little stream. While Rick taught the boys how to build fires, I parked my camping chair overlooking the water AND READ.
Isn't this a perfect spot to help envision Mary Ingles as she struggled along the river? Someday I hope to hike her trail.
The boys worked hard honing their skills with a hatchet. Part of their requirements included making an ax yard.
They learned several different ways to start a fire. Rick wouldn't let them start a fire with matches, they had to do it the hard way using batteries and wool or flint and steel.
Dryer lint works perfectly for these situations.
Jacob, and his buddy Michael, set up this 2-man backpacking tent by themselves. They said they slept quite well (unlike this girl). I guess frog songs and creaking trees don't bother them much.
We left fairly early the next day so I could make it back for my Women's Conference. Before we left though, we took a little walk down the stream. We found a couple of old stone bridges.
Wasn't Emma a good sport about camping with the Scouts?
My exercise workshops went pretty well. As I look back, I would have done a few things differently. I'm still working on my pacing as a teacher. Everytime I teach this is a problem for me. Maybe I'll have a chance to present this material again someday. Heaven knows I have enough stuff for a 3 hour presentation!
At the end of this busy Saturday, we joined some new friends, the Cornell family, for pizza. We drove down to Grand Rapids, OHIO and ate at a place called Snyder's Pisanellos Pizza. It was fabulous! Later we walked along the river and peeked in some of the shops along main street. I would venture to say that this little town is one of the most charming I've seen yet. I can't wait to take Papa and Lala there when they visit next month!
I regret that the warmth didn't last past the weekend. We're in the low 50s today with rain and wind. It's pretty chilly out there. We were supposed to have an outdoor cookout tonight with the ward. I hope we don't get rained out! I'm fairly certain that we'll have great weather for any summer visitors who'd like to come visit though. What do you say readers?
4 comments:
Hot diggity, you know we would love to come but Jess' wedding is in July and Ryan will use all his time off going to Scout Camp, for the wedding and for the family reunion at the end of summer, argh. There's just no time!! Maybe next year. . . I love the pictures though, what a beautiful place to live :)
Follow The River is a memorable book. I read it several years ago and unlike some of the books that I have read, this one has stayed with me for many years. I saw a movie about it also, but it was not nearly as good as the book was. It was just amazing that she survived at all. Yes, Emma is a good sport, and I am sure that she enjoyed herself. Springtime should be a great adventure for all of you.
There is something about rivers that touches all of us. Some of my favorite memories involve rivers. I am so glad you are having these experiences. We are so excited about coming out to see you guys. I am seriously considering bringing my bike!
I think I will read that book. It sounds like one I should not pass up
Post a Comment