Thursday, March 5, 2009

Callings, Facebook, Parties, and Cankles

New Calling

The Primary Chorister in our ward is expecting baby #4 and she's due right around the Primary program this fall. Last week, I got called to be the new chorister. She's taking my old class, so it all works out, even-steven. I'm going to miss my 5 and 6-year-olds though . I had an outstanding class. But, I'm super excited about being the chorister. It has long been my favorite calling in the church.

Goodbye Facebook

I love Facebook, maybe a little too much. That's why I decided to delete my account. I realized it was sucking up way too much of my time. I've lost count of how many times I've stayed up late on that site, reading everyone's "25 Random Things" lists. I got to thinking...maybe I should spend a little more time the people who live with me instead of that random chick that I used to sit by in English class. Was I too extreme?

A Study in Contrasts

Last week we had a shin-dig with all the aerobics instructors from the Y. I decided to go and get to know some of the girls better. I've been praying to make some friends, and I thought this would be a great opportunity. I was assigned to bring a dessert. I made (from scratch) a delicious banana sheet cake with cream cheese frosting. This has been a popular treat at parties past, so I was confident it would be a hit. I should have know better. Apparently, other fitness instructors don't indulge the same way I do. Instead of reaching for the sweets, they were reaching for the wine. It sure made for some entertaining and LOUD conversations as the night wore on though. Plus, I had lots of leftovers!

Yesterday, I joined a potluck lunch group with some gals in my ward. Again, I made THE CAKE. My sisters raved about it, redeeming me from last week's disgrace. The entertaining and loud conversations were still there, but that was because everyone was trying to talk over the kids. Different worlds...

Oops!

So, I'm afflicted with cankle-itis on one side of my body. While peparing for a BOSU class last night, I rolled my left foot and got a 2nd degree sprain. My doctor/husband wrapped me up and sent me on my way. I got through the class, but once I sat down to eat dinner, that sucker swelled up. I now have a lovely, purplish-red goose egg. The thing that really ticks me off is that I can't move around so well. I'm scrambling to find subs for my classes at the YMCA so I can let things heal. No more cardio on the BOSU for me!

10 comments:

Alli said...

Audrey! Primary chorister calling does totally rock, it is so much fun to do the Snowman song and end up laying on the floor in a dress. I'm pretty sure that's the only calling where that happens. Facebook: yes, such a time waster, I try to keep it down with that stuff and only go on every day or two and just for a bit. You are really smart to have let that little habit go :) Parties: those do sound wildly different, I totally would have eaten way too much of the cake at either/both party (I wouldn't have been invited to the first one though). Ankle injuries are the worst - I truly feel for you! I'm forever twisting my ankles and it's no fun. I hope you get better soon! Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration :)

Heidi Totten said...

Please put the recipe on the family site for the cake immediately! I LOVE banana cake! As for facebook - it's a huge time waster, but I do use it for work so that is good. :) Sorry about your ankle! That is nasty stuff! You know how I feel about swollen ankles!

Anonymous said...

Yes, share that cake recipe with us too. I know it is good, have tasted it before. Yummy. Sorry about the ankle problem, take care of yourself and don't get back into things too quickly. I think cake is probably better for us than wine is, what do you think?

Randi said...

It's a good thing you have a doctor/husband. That is so cool.

Yah, I did the same thing when first had a myspace and facebook a long while ago. When I decided to start blogging I realized I was spending too much time on the computer, so I deleted my myspace account. I definitely was obsessed with facebook when I first got it though... its fun but hard.

Audrey, you are so beautiful and awesome and a great mother, and a wonderful friends. You made my mouth water when I read of your delicious dessert!

Les said...

Great post. Life outside our little LDS bubble is kind of weird isn't it...or is our life kind of weird? :)

Terry said...

Rather than comment on the items, I just want to tell you what a wonderful writer you are. I love reading your entries! I read the cake story outloud to mom and we both really laughed. Love you!

The LaLa said...

That is the truth! LOL, seriously. It's a lot more fun to be at an LDS potluck where all the good times are still remembered the next day. It sounds like our Book Club gathering of Tuesday night, where we discussed the book for an hour, and then the conversation ranged pretty freely from there -- including the amount of wasted time spent reading blogs, Facebook, etc. So, Dad signed me up for Facebook!
Mmmm, banana cake. I think the recipe's in our Nally cookbook, right? Have fun doing the Primary chorister thing again -- you can really get your creative juices flowing! I loved our long phone visit -- more often, please.

Bon said...

yeah chorister! i don't know anyone else that is more perfect for that calling than you! my solution to wasting time on the computer is to turn it off. (it takes way to long to start it back up, so i end up staying off.) mmmmm....banana cake sounds yummy. why waste calories on alcoholic drinks when cake is so much more satisfying?? then if you end up talking loud and acting like a fool at the end of the night, you'll at least remember it w/o the headache the next morning! ;)

Kathy said...

Primary Chorister is the best. You get to act like a total dork and the kids love it. Happy Choristering!!

Or maybe you don't have to act like a dork, and I was just a dork up there in front of the kids. Either way Happy choristering!

The Hatch Family said...

You make me smile!!! Yes! I would love to eat your cake---I would have saved an extra squirt of insulin for it!! :) So much more fun with kindred spirits too!

Thanks for the update on Facebook . . . now I won't wonder why you didn't want to be my friend anymore. Ha!

Hope your ankle heals quickly!!! I am praying for you guys as your "answer" date quickly approaches!!! Can't wait to hear!

Love to you!!!