Tuesday, September 4, 2012

June Potpourri #2

As promised, here are more random bits from June:
 
 
We bid farewell to our beloved clunker, the Santa Fe. She served us well through those years of medical school and residency. I think moving to the snow sped up her decline, however.
 Rick kept her running with his handyman abilities. I'm sure he saved us hundreds, maybe more!
Emma found a new talent. She spent a lot of time watching YouTube tutorials so that she could do her own nail art. Here is a sampling of her work:

I developed (revisited?) some hobbies this summer myself. My dear friend Anita coerced me into running my first 5K. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience! Ever since I quit teaching aerobics, running has been my main form of exercise. I usually view it more as a chore. This was different. I found out running could be fun when the music is blaring and the people are cheering!
We didn't beat any speed records, but we stayed consistent and finished at a respectable time. I do believe I'll try that again some time...
Anita also got me out of my comfort zone with theater this summer. She and her daughter Christy both auditioned for our new community theater's production of The Sound of Music. Anita landed the role of Sister Sophia, and Christy was cast as Leisl. (I was too chicken to even try). Fortunately, the powers-that-be discovered a need for more nuns, so Anita recommended me to the directors. Without having to go through the scary audition process, I got to join the nun chorus - YAY! The down side? I had to sing the low Alto part - BOO!
Though the rehearsals ate up a lot of time, I made some wonderful new friends. The other women who played principal nuns were all teachers of some kind or another, so we had A LOT in common. I already knew a lot of the teens in the cast too because they're friends with Jake and Emma. The best part of all though,was hanging backstage with my bestie!
 
In an effort to advertise the week of the show, several of us nuns wore our habits to visit some of the local establishments. We sure turned a lot of heads, especially when we would burst out in song! Anita and I also made it a point to run to Circle K in costume every day for our Diet Cokes.
When I wasn't joining in the backstage shenanigans, I assisted my beautiful and talented friend Betsy who played Maria. She had about a dozen costume changes, so I got to be her little helper off stage. I enjoyed that role as much as being on stage because Betsy was such a hoot to work with and watch from the wings. Truly, we had an AMAZING cast.


Almost as quickly as it began, it ended. I went through withdrawal for a few days. Thank goodness for Facebook so I can keep up with my Sound of Music family! And, thank goodness for a friend who helps me overcome my fears!
 

4 comments:

Bon said...

yay! Can Em come paint my nails? And I would love to run a 5K with you!

Sheila and Mario said...

I want to run a 5k too! I propose a sister run after Bon has recovered from popping out that baby! Fun! Also, S of M sounds like fun.

The LaLa said...

Was that a pun? A sister run? I love that you got to be in the production!

Alli said...

So cool Audrey! Did you confess that you played Maria in HS and some of your friends were nuns? Just because that was almost two decades ago... aack.