Monday, April 4, 2011

Cruise Day 1

Unprepared? Us?


The week preceding our cruise we flip-flopped no less than 50 times about going. We were uncertain about Emma’s health and couldn’t imagine having any fun while worrying about our sick girl. Fortunately, Emmy took a turn for the better after her steroid treatment. We cancelled our plane tickets to Arizona and reverted back to Plan A. Suddenly we had to pack our fancy cruisin’ clothes. And Rick hadn’t gone shopping yet!

The kids flew out from Detroit a day before we were due to leave for our trip. Rick and I spent the evening shopping at the mall. Rick easily found some dapper duds, and he didn’t have to try stuff on. Ugh! I was on a mission to put together my formal ensemble. The options available for a thirty-something gal who wishes not to flaunt her “assets” are slim to none. I could’ve taken the mother-of-the-bride route, but I wasn’t feeling the matronly look yet either. Needless to say, the shopping trip was frustrating. Many tears were shed, and that was just from Rick!

After a late-night packing frenzy we got up and hit the road to Maryland. My sister Sheila and her family live somewhat near Baltimore and we wanted to meet up with them before we left on our cruise. The trip wasn’t bad, though we did experience some rain and snow along the way. The weather made us that much more anxious to get to some warmth and sunshine.

It was a treat to spend time with family. My nephew Joel has changed so much since I saw him in November. He’s certainly talking more, but unfortunately for me, it’s in Spanish (haha)! He really warmed up to his Uncle Rick quickly. He enjoyed the rocket ship rides and being tossed about endlessly. I think I freaked him out a bit because of my resemblance to his mother. It must have been confusing.

Sheila drove us to the port where we boarded the ship after waiting in one line after another. Things moved along pretty well considering, and we enjoyed a lazy luncheon once we were settled. Party animals we are, we napped the rest of the afternoon away. Our tiny inside stateroom was so dark it was easy to lose all sense of time.

We ate dinner late and were seated with two other couples, neither of which we had much in common. Rick was a trooper and got the conversati going, otherwise we may have gone nine days with no words exchanged. I enjoyed one of my favorite Indian dishes and Rick had 2 of everything else on the menu.

A movie was showing at 11:00 that we planned on staying up to see, but we were so tired that we crashed out at 10:15! Don’t you want to cruise with us?

Sisters

Joel admiring Rick

Hmmmm.  Already a monkey on his back...

Cute mommy and little man.

Getting acquainted.

Besties...

1 comment:

Alli said...

I'm glad you are getting to relax and recharge :)