Saturday, February 19, 2011

Faye

I'm missing a real wingdinger this weekend. The Colyars are gathered this very evening to honor my lovely grandmother for her 80th birthday. Oh how I wish I could join them! Instead I wrote this tribute for Grandma Faye's Memory Book:

Dear Family,


As the oldest of Faye Colyar’s grandchildren, I especially wanted to be with family and close friends to celebrate her 80th birthday. Unfortunately, I’m stuck on the other side of this great country dreaming of sunnier days. Curse the high-priced airlines! Please know that I’m there in spirit and that I expect everyone to take LOTS of pictures.


I do wish to contribute some thoughts to Grandma’s Memory Book though. I’m sure folks will stuff the pages with great stories and comments. I can’t wait to look through it the next time I visit (sniff). I want to share part of a lengthy list of attributes I admire in Faye:


Talent


Grandma Faye’s musical gifts are legendary. She’s blessed countless lives serving as pianist, organist, choir director, and music chair in the Church. Has she ever served in a non-music-related calling?


True to her selfless nature, Grandma’s musical efforts have always helped to shine a light on others. When she accompanies a soloist or group, she supports them rather than drawing attention to her vast talents. What a rare and generous thing for a performer to do!


Patience


She taught piano lessons AND raised 6 kids - at the same time! As a mother of two I marvel at how she balanced working from her home and keeping peace in the family. Talk about multitasking!


I still remember the years of piano instruction I received from Grandma. My enthusiasm waxed and waned, but she continued encouraging and guiding me along. It’s because of her that I stuck with piano. I couldn’t bear the thought of disappointing my sweet Grandmother who gave me lessons out of the goodness of her heart. Oh! And the weekly bowls of Lucky Charms helped too.


When my training became a pleasure instead of a chore, I delighted in tackling the pieces she hand-picked for me. She recognized my love for the Romantic composers and nurtured it with the good stuff (Chopin, Brahams, Grieg). Playing piano gave me confidence, comfort, and joy. What a beautiful gift for a lucky granddaughter!


Humor


Is there any more delightful sound than Faye’s chuckle? A singing sigh usually follows too. I have fond memories of Grandma laughing at my goofy aunt and uncles over the years. For her, the kookiest of comedians are her own kids. I think I’ve inherited her funny bone too. For me, it doesn’t get much funnier than at a Colyar gathering. Boy, am I missing out this weekend!


Constancy


I am just one member of a very LARGE family. I’ve had moments worthy of celebration as well as moments worthy of heartache. So have the rest. Grandma is always there, nurturing, supporting, and caring. I’ve saved dozens of cards over the years from my sweet grandmother. I imagine my cousins have received their share of love notes as well. No matter our choices, her love for us is unconditional.


Grandma’s testimony of the restored gospel is firm. I know this because I’ve observed her quiet service and felt her prayers. I know she has great faith in the power of the priesthood. All of us have had our names on the temple prayer rolls a time or two because of her. I deeply appreciate her example and faithfulness as I’ve grown up in the Church.


Grandma, on this day and always I want you to know that I love and admire you greatly! Have a wonderful and blessed birthday celebration!


Love,


Audrey


Apollo High School Graduation Class of '95
  
Letter written to me during my high school years

Our wedding luncheon 1/02/96

Emmy's Baby Shower '00
Nally Reunion 2006
  
The kids' last piano recital with Great Grandma Faye

1 comment:

The LaLa said...

I loved this tribute, and more importantly, Grandma loved it. It made her teary! It was a lovely party, with many of your favorite people in attendance! Lots of your cousins and aunts/uncles asked about you.