Monday, January 31, 2011

Early Evening Seminary

It's been a tough couple of months for Perrysburg Seminary. The winter's not even half over yet and we've already battled fog, sleet, ice, and snow. Driving is an adventure! In order to keep these young, inexperienced drivers safe (I include myself in this group), I've had to cancel seminary 1/2 a dozen times. And, we're about to add 2 more snow days tomorrow and Wednesday. Ugh!

Fortunately my students are WONDERFUL and they agreed to meet last Sunday for "Early Evening Seminary". We had a Mexican food potluck and a 2-hour catch-up lesson. It was cRaZy and LOUD and totally fun! Plus, they brought the food.
 In early morning seminary I've not had to deal with the typical classroom management concerns that other teachers of youth experience. At 6:00 am, teenagers aren't generally chatty. What a difference 12 hours of wakefulness makes! These kids have never asked so many questions!
 No one could have accused us of being reverent either, despite our Sunday dress.
What a bunch of jokesters!
 You would think that we would have blown through several sections of The Doctrine and Covenants in a 
2-hour lesson. Not so. We finished the last half of D&C 76. That's it. Oh! And we did a goofy rendition of our scripture mastery chant. I got it on video, but I'll spare you.
I want you to come back to my blog.
 We're already planning our next "early evening seminary" lesson and potluck dinner.
We're thinking Italian, or maybe Thai food...
 ...but no sugar!

2 comments:

The LaLa said...

You are one blessed Sister Seminary to have such a wonderful group of young people. Yup, it's amazing what a difference that early hour makes! Great idea to do the catch-up evening seminary. You're so blessed that they buy into that too! A good discussion on Section 76 is worth a lot!

Alli said...

What a fun looking bunch! I can tell that they think you are the cat's pajamas.

They are right.