Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mommy

Who's my favorite lady in the whole wide world? Mom, of course!

On this Mother's Day, and always, I'd like to thank my angel mother for all she's done for me.

From Mom I've learned what it means to be gracious, discerning, charitable, strong, and devoted. I'm still developing these qualities in myself, but when I need a reminder I look to her.

Mom wears many hats in our family. At various times she's been a teacher, cheerleader, chef, coach, academic advisor, director, psychologist, editor, babysitter, nurse, disciplinarian, landlord, chauffeur, beauty consultant, personal shopper, and zoo keeper. I wouldn't be surprised if there were days she wore all the hats at once!
Mom has always pushed us to reach our potential, even when we couldn't see it. I know I wouldn't have stuck with my degree program for 12 years (and finished) if it weren't for her.

Both of my parents helped me develop the foundations of my testimony.

Mom knows the church is true, but she's also true to the church. Never one to turn down an assignment from the Lord, she has held countless callings. The blessings of her service continue even today (i.e. big crate of her old seminary lessons).

Mom loves Dad. It's a simple statement, but it's meant so much to me over the years. How fortunate I am to have such a beautiful example of what it means to honor temple covenants. The relationship my parents share is growing hard to find these days. What a comfort it is to see them grow more fond of each other every day!

As much as she loves my siblings and me, she may love the grandkids more!

She's opened her heart (and home) to all of the kids at some point.
She steps in where my knowledge or experience runs out.

She delights in all the little milestones, acting as if she's never seen it before.

Nothing brings her greater joy than when we're gathered as a family (and she's holding a baby).

It's a good thing my younger siblings have stepped in to provide more cute babies!

I love you eternally Mom! I will always be your little girl!

8 comments:

Sheila and Mario said...

So sweet and so true! Love you sis and happy mother's day to you too! XOXO

Heidi Totten said...

Awww, man! I thought I was done with all of my tears today! So sweet! Big hugs, Audrey!

The LaLa said...

I can't believe this is even me you are talking about. Thank you seems so inadequate. You have made my day -- What am I saying? I can coast on this feeling for weeks! You are always my little girl, always and forever.

kvhawker said...

WOW, WOW, WOW, what a great blog! Rick's talk was powerful and wonderful. I can see and hear him giving it. The talk brought me to tears. Then your tribute to my dear friend, your mother has me weeping openly. Thank you! You are a wonderful mother too.

GMA S said...

A lovely tribute to your mother, Audrey. Rick, you are awesome. Wish I could have been there to hear you deliver your talk, but would most certainly been awash in tears. I love you both.

Alli said...

Lovely. I hope you Saunders' had a fantastic Mother's Day :)

Dusty said...

Audrey,
This is such an awesome post! I feel so blessed to have married into this family and have the opportunity to have her as my mom too. I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day. I miss you.

Bon said...

love it! and love you! happy mother's day!