No Christmas music until after Thanksgiving
This one was Rick's idea, not mine. Perhaps it's because I play holiday tunes 24/7, all season long. He has to give me some limits or he'll go crazy. I have 30+ Christmas CDs, and the collection grows every year. Whether it's Harry Connick, Mo Tab, or The Muppets, I'm sure to play it all.
Caroling
We've sung to the neighbors, family members, and to senior citizens. It's just not Christmastime unless we're "entertaining" others with our Saunders Family Favorites.
The Christmas Eve Gift
It's hard to wait for Christmas morning, whether you're a giver or a receiver. Jake and Em get to open one present the night before the big day so as to warm up their gift unwrapping muscles. It's also a great time to practice those magic words like, "thanks" and "I love it" and "you're the best Mom ever".
Zoo Lights
This one was a little easier when we lived in Arizona. Winter evenings were barely nippy in the desert. You could get by with a sweatshirt and some Dollar Store mittens. Here in Toledo, one must don a minimum of 4 layers to view the Zoo Lights. I've vowed to wear my snow bibs next year.
Dressing the Dog
We've found that putting clothes on Shelby is endlessly entertaining for us. The poor girl has worn many goofy sweaters over the years. Last year we found a Santa suit that gets us all in the mood for Christmas. She knows she looks good in it.
Crafts
Gone are the days when we had to make our gifts. I'm sure our family is glad that Rick gave away his jigsaw and that I've put away my paints. Emma still loves crafting though, and there are ample opportunities at Michael's and Home Depot.
Nativities
We have a growing collection of nativities and we find new ones every year. Since we've moved to Perrysburg, our nativity stash has come in handy since our church hosts and Interfaith Nativity Celebration. Here are a few that we've loaned for the exhibit:
A New Twist on an Old Poem
Twas the week before Christmas, when Audrey exclaimed,
“Not a letter I’ve written, no accomplishment named!”
So she sat down to pen season’s greetings and more
With hope that her family’s news would not bore.
The year had been kind to the Saunders indeed.
Rick loved being Doc, and the kids grew like weeds.
The new home was settled and feeling quite cozy.
Two thousand and nine had turned out mostly rosy.
Emma continued to draw and to craft.
She made many friends, she sang, and she laughed.
Her talent for writing and reading increased.
Her cleverness shocked her folks not in the least.
Jacob bid farewell to childhood at last.
Junior high school seemed to come way too fast.
His hard work in Scouts gave him plenty to do.
He took up the flute and the violin too.
Audrey kept busy with cycling and teaching.
Her work with the youth came with blessings far-reaching.
She spent every day either planning or napping.
Seminary was so energy zapping!
Rick spent his time with the injured or ill.
Home maintenance projects he tackled with zeal.
He installed the sprinklers and rough framed the walls.
It’s a wonder the poor man could wake up at all!
When Audrey had finished her Christmas card task,
The deadline for shipping had already passed.
So she chuckled and on every card she did write,
“Happy New Year” to all and to all a good night!
Best Wishes for the New Year!
The Saunders Family
Black Friday Shopping
I told you this was a list in no particular order! Rick is one of those crazy shoppers that gets up at 4:00 in the morning the day after Thanksgiving so he can score some major deals. Since he was working a 30-hour shift this year, he had to wait until 10:00 am to catch those Black Friday deals. He claims it was still worth the lines and the traffic.
Movies
Some movies just bring it all home, right? Our top 5 holiday movies have to be:
1. It's A Wonderful Life
2. White Christmas
3. Frosty & Rudolph (claymation classic)
4. Charlie Brown
5. Polar Express
Luke 2
Not a year goes by that we don't read the Christmas story straight from the scriptures. When we're gathered with extended family, we always act it out (including the costumes). Sometimes we watch the church video that they show at the temple. You can see that here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLWYgMmFET4&feature=related
Christmas Eve Dinner
Since we NEVER get to go out to a restaurant (ha ha), we've started eating out for Christmas Eve. We've had our reservations at Nagoya for several weeks. Sure, it's not Frito Family Mexican Food with orange juice and Sprite, but it'll do. And, there's no clean up!
Well, if you've made it through this post you must be really bored or you gave birth to us. Merry Christmas! We love you. Now get back to your families!
6 comments:
Audrey,
Loved your post!
Loved your poem!
Love your traditions!
Love you!
I hope we get to see you while you are in town!
Love, Aunt Janet
Thanks for the memories! See you soon. Love to all from Mama Jo
OK, so I claim the honor of parent! There is nothing better than being up early (4:45) and reading such a wonderful post. Thanks honey, we love you!
PS - I am actually up with a nasty case of overdose on the holiday cookies. I am trying to find paper to write, "I will not eat too many chocolate cookies" I must write it at least 500 times
I wasn't bored and I'm just a lowly (thought favorite - right?!) cousin! Loved the list! We are still figuring ours out, but they are getting more set in stone it seems. I can't wait to see you guys!
I gave birth to you. And I'm so grateful. Loved your list -- they're all terrific traditions, a great combination of random and meaningful. Can't wait till next week! That will be Christmas for me.
I love that Rick puts lights on your car. I remember a few years ago we went to zoo lights and we were not sure which way to go in order to get home. Then we spotted your car (because of the lights) and just followed you! :-) I wish I could talk Mario into doing the same thing...
Post a Comment