Friday, June 26, 2009

Father's Day

CHURCH CALLINGS
I lost my voice for Father's Day (which was my special little gift to Rick). Unfortunately, this created a small problem for my church responsibilities. I lead the music time for Primary and Nursery. Our ward children's choir was to perform for the fathers in Sacrament Meeting, with me as their chorister. The poor little group was on their own and I could only wave my hands enthusiastically for support. The kids sounded great though. They even emphasized the ending sound "d" on the word "dad". That got a chuckle from the congregation, which is exactly what I wanted.

Later I realized that this was Jake's last Father's Day in Primary. He won't get the chance to sing Daddy's Homecoming anymore. Sad!

Emma will be happy to carry on the tradition though. She hasn't gotten too cool for Primary yet.
I officially got my call to teach early morning Seminary on Sunday too. I was so pleased to have parents there as I was set apart to teach seminary, and Rick was set apart to be the new Scout Master. What a special day!
FATHERS
After hours of napping, we made a delicious mixed grill dinner. For dessert, Lala made strawberry shortcake with some local berries. YUM! Then we moved on to "prizes", as Papa likes to call them.

The kids dug up some special treasures for Papa. Emma had built this space ship using a kit Jake purchased for her at the Challenger Space Center.

Jake made Rick this handy dandy organizer at the Home Depot clinic. Emma made one too, but painted it in bright, jazzy colors.

Jake gave Papa his rockets, though we never did make time to launch them. Maybe next time...

Rick received the Blu-ray of Iron Man to watch on his new projector. 10 minutes into watching it however, made us decide to never let the kids see it. Yikes!

As if that wasn't enough action, we all took a drive over to the 577 Foundation. It's a beautiful gathering place for the community that holds classes, concerts, and field trips. We walked through the lovely community gardens and spied some critters too.
The kids hammed it up in the tree house:

The made it look so fun that Lala and Papa had to try it too:

2 comments:

Bon said...

you guys look like you're having so much fun there. i can't wait to come visit!

Alli said...

You really are making it look way too fun. I'm so glad your family is visiting and I'm jealous!