Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My First Day

After a long fitful night of sleep, I started my new job at the Y. My Tuesday morning class is called “Little Folks Fun Club” and I only had 5 little kiddos – what a dream! I’ve developed an 8-week nursery rhyme unit for this group, so we started with Diddle, Diddle, Dumpling. We sang, read stories, played games, made crafts, etc. The time went by sooooo fast! I think I’m really going to like these cuties.

Later, I made a quick change so that I could teach step aerobics. I was surprised by the number of people who showed up. I felt a little rusty after my 3-month long hiatus from teaching, but the queuing came back to me. I got some positive feedback from my boss which boosted my confidence. I hope she’ll give me some more classes next session.

Tomorrow I have just one little class called “Explorers”. This is for toddlers and their parents. I’m untested with munchkins this young, so I hope I’ve planned the right kind of activities. It’s quite a change from 2nd grade!

6 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Fun! I didn't know you were going to teach. I would love to take your step class and I am sure that you are fabulous at it!

Anonymous said...

lUCKY KIDS! LUCKY YOU!

The Hatch Family said...

What a blessing it would be to have Miss Audrey as your teacher!! Those kiddos and parents are getting a treat!!

You mentioning your toddler class tomorrow made me remember something funny. I signed up Jon and Connor for one like that while I was still teaching. They were the only boys . . . parents or kids. Can you just picture Jon Hatch in a setting like that?!?! He called it their weekly tea party. Needless to say, there was some grumbling, but they ended up having fun. I would pay for video of it. Ha!

Alli said...

That sounds like lots of fun! Those kids are going to love you.

The LaLa said...

I love the combo package you've put together at the Y -- teaching preschool and step aerobics in a 3-hour block. You are quite the multi-tasker! I'm so glad it went well. I knew you'd love those little kiddos.

Michelle said...

I wondered how long it would be until you were back to teaching. Those parents are so lucky to have found such a fantasic teacher for their kiddos!