Saturday, September 27, 2008

3rd time's a charm

Last Christmas Santa gave the family a snazzy new 2-room tent. It has remained expertly packaged in its box since that time. When we moved to Ohio we promised we could take the kids camping as often as Rick’s schedule would allow because it’s a pretty inexpensive way to see the area and we can bring our dog along.

Two weeks ago we scheduled a trip, but the rain disrupted our plans. Last weekend we packed up the car and drove to a recommended site close to town. Instead of wilderness, we found a soccer field and some outhouses. We opted to go Olive Garden instead. On Thursday we finally made good on our promise to the kids. We drove to Sauder Village in Archbold, Ohio (near Indiana) to camp, knock out some Cub Scout requirements with Jake, and enjoy a social studies field trip. It was awesome!


The weather cooperated beautifully. The campsite provided some great amenities, including clean bathrooms with showers, an indoor pool and hot tub, ponds for fishing,



and trails for walking and biking.



Besides a few seniors with motor homes, we were the only family there. We cheated and ate dinner at the on-site restaurant called “The Barn”.





It was there that the kids discovered apple butter. Yum!



And, Jake lost another tooth.

Then we went to the pool and hot tub at the Inn. Campers are allowed to use the Hotel amenities.





Later, Jake (and Rick) built a fire for cooking S’mores while Emma and I read our book. We slept fairly well in our new tent that night. The only drawback was the noise from a nearby train.





The next morning, Rick made a scrumptious pancake breakfast. Since we forgot our spatula, Rick used his hatchet to flip the flapjacks.



After the feast we broke camp and made our way to Historic Sauder Village.





We played with 19th century toys,








went to school,




canned apple butter,





picked apples,




pressed cider,




hung out in a wigwam,





Jacob got to hold a real musket,






And the kids got to "milk" a cow.








It was so fun that we closed the place down.






The kids said it was the best social studies lesson ever!

11 comments:

Les said...

I so want to come visit you! That looks like SO MUCH FUN! What a great field trip.

Heidi Totten said...

Aside from the part where you clearly had to "rough it" without a spatula...

That place looks amazing!

Heidi Totten said...

P.S. Clara saw your picture and yelled, "What's that name?!" I said, "It's Aunt Audrey." She was very excited. She probably remembers you. :)

Dusty said...

What a great little trip filled with so many fun activites. I love that you were camping on green grass rather than dirt. Looks like everyone really enjoyed themselves!

Terry said...

That does look like so much fun. Jacob - big snaps for liking apple butter! I love it too! Emma - wow, I have seen two pictures of you fishing. Way to go! Rick - way to improvise with the pancake flipper! Imagine what you could have done with a snow shovel. Audrey - I love how you are so into the home schooling. I am proud of all of you! Miss you bunches.

Anonymous said...

Well, now we know where that put-together furniture that we have came from! Rick, you have always been creative, but I can't recall you ever using a hatchet for a flapjack turner. Guess that is because we didn't have a hatchet! Glad to see that Audrey and Emma got into their country dinner. And Jacob, I'm proud of you for trying that apple butter. It's good, huh?

Jeanne said...

Yeah, gotta agree that the only real roughing part seemed to be the use of the hatchet :-) I'm very impressed, Rick. Looks like you guys had a blast. We love to camp and it looks like you guys found an awesome place to do it.

The LaLa said...

This looks like such a fun outing, for camping, and all the other stuff too. What do you think about us going to Kirtland when we visit? We could do a Church history mini-tour? You'd love it there, and we'd love to go back to see all the new things that have been added and restored.

Tatum said...

Seriously, Wow. How much fun! I am very impressed!

Love the hatchet situation. ha ha way to be creative.

Jesika said...

Now, that what I call the ULTIMATE field trip!! :o)

Jesika said...

Hey Audrey!! I need to talk to you! :o) I promise it's about good things...haha Would you mind emailing your phone number to me?? My email is jesikagardner@gmail.com. I can't wait to talk to you! Smiles! ~Jesika